Friday, June 17, 2011

The Building Blocks of Learning

While out garage saleing, I found an awesome  bin of mega blocks for 2.50! I had an idea for them right away! I gathered the single blocks into a separate bin and brought out some rub ons (Michaels .99 each with a 50% off coupon in the paper). Time to make some manipulatives!

 
I added Upper Case and Lower Case letters to the fronts of the blocks and now they can used in many ways! 1st to build words using the thin plates. This is a very popular game with my oldest who loves to write stories! 2nd it can be used to build words up and down, which is the way my 5 year old likes to play, since it reminds him of playing with Unifix Cubes! The 3rd way is to match the upper case letters with the lower case ones. This is just perfect for my 3 year old. It's a fun matching game that even the big kids get into, which challenges the little guy to move even faster! 

This was so easy to do and definitely very entertaining that I have other ideas in mind! (After all the block is 4 sided!!) I plan on adding other letters to 1 side of blocks and also 2 numbers to the other 2 sides, some of them I will add plus, minus and equal signs, to create a math manipulative too!

I plan on using the larger blocks to put phonograms on and also some full sight words as well. This is a work in progress that just keeps getting better and better!

Keep The Learning Fun!

Photobucket

Have You Added Me Yet?

It's Playtime at hands on : as we grow

0 comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...