Tuesday, December 23, 2008

The Wonderful World of Flickr

My Flickr Page!
Today, we are jumping into the photographic world of Flickr. This is an AWESOME social networking site! If you love lots of photos when you read a blog, this one is for you! It's all about uploading photos and typing in brief descriptions. When you sign up, be sure to have a great profile, where you mention where you can be found. I list my Etsy Shop, my Lollishops shop and my Blog! Check out my profile here. I like fun profiles, that give a little hint to the personality. I will NOT click on profiles that JUST have FEMALE/MALE and their Shop link on them. That tells me, they are just there to sell things and not really there for the community aspect of it all. A Big no-no in my book AND in Flickrs are photos that are items for sale in your shop WITH descriptions that say FOR SALE ON MY ETSY SHOP check profile for link. That is NOT allowed and can get you shut down.


Some of my contacts that have recently updated


Ready to start adding friends? Use that search bar at the top right hand side of the page and type in some of your interests! This is a great way to find people that like the same stuff as you do and also you can find more people that like it, by checking out their contacts list too! When I add someone, I am sure to comment on their photos straight away or as soon as they add me too! Always comment on photos of those that add you too! Common courtesy! Post your link in any online forums your frequen, that's a great way to get people adding you too! Another great way is to check out the GROUPS! Click on the top tab that says GROUPS. Type in the FIND GROUPS bar, what you are looking for! Check for things you collect, your favorite color, where you sell, you name it it's there! You will be overwhelmed by the groups, but they are just so fun to be a part of! PLEASE make sure you read all the rules to the groups before posting and putting up your photos. PLEASE don't spam groups with dozens of your photos, just because they don't have upload limits, this is tacky :(


Ready to Start Uploading Photos? Click on the YOU tab at the top of the page and a drop down menu will appear, click on Upload photos and videos. There you go! It will then put you at a page to type in your descoptions and tags. DO NOT DO NOT use for sale lingo, see profile or anything like that. Remember, that if people really want to know this information, they will check out your profile themselves or message you their question. (I have made loads of sales this way!) DO not make your album ALL ABOUT what you sell. This is not a showcase gallery, it's a social site and they want you to be social, they want to see what else you do! supplies shots, family shots, studio shots, that sort of thing!Photograph the weather, your dinner, your starbucks! Anything you can think of! If your photos are ALL about what you sell, you can and will be shut down. If you use for sale, profile jargon, you can and will be shut down. How do I know? 3 of my friends were shut down (1 of them had a PRO account) with no warning at all, and me? Well I got a very stern warning. What made me get a warning and them just get deleted? No clue, talk on the Etsy forums seem to be it's just whatever admin is on duty that day. There seem to be no rhyme or reason. So be safe, before you get shut down! This is a fun site when used correctly! After my warning, I asked what was and was not allowed and those were the items that I was told! I keep many photos of my children private to only friends and or family members. It's safer that way and yet my album is still personal and not just a gallery!

Check in daily on Flickr, sometimes it's hard with the 100 other things to do, but try and work it into your schedule. I always click the CONTACTS button at the top of the page to see who has recently updated and then I choose 10 interesting photos a day to comment on. I usually end up commenting on more, but at minimum 10. I check in on my groups every now and then and many have come through in a pinch for me! I once needed to know a place that I took a picture of in another country and within an hour someone knew where I was standing! hahaha!When used properly, Flickr can get you sales and get you a lot of friends! Be My friend and I will be yours!

Sweet Treats from my Lollishops Shop!

8 comments:

Julie said...

Oh, I am loving flickr (even though I sometimes forget to check it!)

I have the pro account and think it's totally worth it - just for the organizing capabilities! I also like that it gives me a "back up" for family photos and things, and an easy way to share photos. (And of course there's the moo cards and stickers, which sound really cool, but I haven't tried out yet)

Melissa @ Silly Bee's Chickadees said...

Hi, Michelle! You've been tagged!
Check out my blog.

Amanda Fall - Sprout editor said...

Hi! I just found your blog through the "post yer blog" thread on Etsy. :) Thanks for all the great advice about Flickr--I've been curious about it for a while now, and your thoughts were very helpful.

Have a great day!

Robin@creations-anew.com said...

I use the "heck" out of flickr...just updated to Flickr Pro...
Thanks for the info
RObin
CreationsAnew

Kim Caro said...

what fun treats from lollishops :)

rose AKA Walk in the Woods - she/her said...

Nice photos! See you on flickr!

sassypackrat said...

Thanks for all the great posts you do about promoting. I took your advice and got my flickr account up and running and even joined a group!

Ally ☁ ☼ said...

FLICKR ROCKS lool
I really love that site so much
there's a lot of beautiful pictures and many interesting and sweet people around there =)

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...