Tuesday, April 26, 2011

In The Garden With Kids!

 If there is one thing I love to do in the outdoors, it's gardening! It's another one of those Summer Memories that I have with my grandfather on my fathers side. He still keeps a very large garden and we still go there and pick veggies, the only difference is that I go there with my own children and not my parents! (WOW!).

We started our herb garden today and each child had a blast getting involved in their own special ways!! We had garden scoopers, seed pourers and waterers! In honor of earth day we truly had a blast getting muddy!
Since the weather finally started to warm up again (did I mention SNOW last weekend???), the kids hit the water table again! I was THRILLED when I found a Ziploc freezer bag FULL of different sized scoops at a garage sale (.05)!!! This has been the MOST LOVED part of the table! We broke it off into 2 sections. 1 with just water and ducks and all water toys. The other half has these containers, scoops and funnels. The kids LOVE IT! They have a blast filling and squirting and just being silly. Who would have thought that the normal things EVERYONE throws away, are their treasures pieces!
Our very unhealthy but delicious snack that tied in perfectly? Worms in dirt of course!!!

Gummy Worms
Chocolate Pudding
Crushed Oreo Cookies

What did you do to honor Earth Day?


~Michelle!~

9 comments:

pam said...

Thanks for linking up to Garden Tuesday! I look forward to watching the herbs grow!

LBB said...

How fun!! I'm hoping to get the girls to do a little gardening with me this weekend. Just waiting for all this rain to stop!! :)

Yummmm...dirt & worms! I keep forgeting to make them. Yours look so cute !!

Marjie said...

Stopping by from Pam's! I'm thinking of adding basil and mint to the chives in my garden. Maybe next weekend we can start planting!

Silver Strands said...

Just found you ... And I LOVE y unhealthy snack - I'm definitely going to do this with my grandkids!

Corinnea said...

Can't wait to garden with my grandson! I need to remember that dessert too..

OurWanderingAdventures said...

Thank you ladies!! We love container gardening, because it allows the children something to work on in a small space without feeling overwhelmed! It's also something we can start indoors until it's time to get outside in the big garden! Living in Northern Illinois has us waiting forever this year! haha!

Melynda@Scratch Made Food! said...

What a great project!

OurWanderingAdventures said...

Thank you Melynda!!

Jean said...

Welcome to Bloomin' Tuesday! I love gardening with my Granddaughters and I've evne gotten my daughter-in-law interested. Great post! Jean

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...